Earhart Hall

Site 4 was named Earhart Hall after the famous pilot Amelia Earhart and provided accommodation for some 1200 men during the war. Located between Bewsey Old Hall and Twigg Wood (National Grid Reference 591 898) it comprised some 146 nissen huts, a Main Store or Post Exchange (PX), a chapel, hobby shop and an ice cream plant!

The site was used extensively after the war in the 50's and early 60's but later abandoned. Now demolished the area has been landscaped providing local residents a pleasant place to take a summer evening stroll. For the youngsters a theme park - Gullivers World, has been built at one end of Site 4.


Click on thumbnails to see a larger picture

site4plan.jpg (177913 bytes)

Site 4 Plan

site41.jpg (63515 bytes)

Paul L Johnson 1943/44 Photo PLJ

site42.jpg (101066 bytes)

L to R: John Meed, Ray Jones, Paul L Johnson, Eldon Wolt. 1943/44. Photo PLJ

site43.jpg (32771 bytes)

Paul L Johnson 1944.  New Ike Jacket. Photo PLJ

site4.jpg (33795 bytes)

L to R: Herman Heimke, Ray Jones, unknown, Hugo Caporelli, Paul Johnson. Photo PLJ

Site 4 Chapel

Aerial photograph from Fred Spencer 1954